Budget 2019-20: Price hikes and drops to watch out for

It is the day of reckoning folks, for the budget 2019-20 has been announced. Finance minister AHM Mustafa Kamal made the announcement today. Changes in duties will cause ups and downs in the prices of a lot of daily use products.

What Will Go Up?

As per reports, it seems cosmetics, mobile phone service will face the increment. Tough to those who live on makeup. Other than that; cooking oils, medicines, marriage media centres, ice cream, vehicle registration, route permit for vehicles, fitness certificate for vehicles will go up too. Other than those helicopter renting, plastic products, aluminium products, astrology, drama, movie, handmade confectioneries, milk, sugar, body spray, ovens, broilers, grillers and smartphone are going to face the rise.

What Will Go Down?

GOLD! Yes, that is right. Gold Price is said to down alongside firefighting equipment, building bricks, cancer-related medicines, coco substrate and coco pellet used in home gardening, and electric fan.

Everything you need to know about the elections and what happens after

It’s election day. If you had cast your vote, congratulations! You have successfully exercised your democratic rights. Just in case you were wondering how the entire electoral process works in Bangladesh, we got you covered. Here’s a quick roundup:

What is the type of Government we have?

In Bangladesh we have a parliamentary democratic republic.

How many seats are there in the parliament?

In the parliament or the house of the nation, there are 350 seats. Among these, 50 seats are reserved for women. The rest of the 300 seats are for elected candidates from 300 constituencies across the country, including the to-be prime minister.

When will a party win?

A single party or a coalition of parties can secure win if at least 150 out of the 300 seats are won by them. The winning party or coalition will then go on to form the government.

Everything you need to know about the Elections in Bangladesh and what happens after
Your vote matters, thank you for voting! Image: Brainscape

What is a Hung Parliament?

If a party/coalition cannot get 150 of its candidates elected, it will be declared a hung parliament.

In that case, the party/coalition will have to form alliance with some of the other elected representatives to secure 150 seats in total.

What happens if no party/coalition secure 150 seats?

If no party/coalition secures 150 seats at all, then there will be another election according to EC rules. And in the interregnum, the country will be run by an incumbent government.

How is government formed?

The president of the country is largely a ceremonial figure who is elected by direct votes from the 300 members of the parliament.

The president appoints the leader of the winning party/coalition as the prime minister.


The prime minister then forms the cabinet from the elected members of the parliament and forms the government.

What is cabinet?

The cabinet of ministers is the collective decision making body of the government under the Prime Minister’s office. 90% of the cabinet ministers should be elected MPs of the house of the nation. The rest 10% can be technocrat ministers.

Who are technocrat ministers?

Technocrat ministers are ministers who are not directly elected members of the parliament or even not directly affiliated with the ruling party/coalition. Technocrat ministers are often elected based on their expertise on the relevant fields.